Sunday, January 19, 2014

#CocktailDay - Apple Pie Moonshine

Apple Pie Moonshine 


Welcome to Cocktail Day, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic, Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake, and Donna of Cookistry.

Change is hard folks! Leaning new things is hard! Sometimes a cocktail in the middle of life's chaos can make it seem better, even if it is temporary. Today is Cocktail Day so take advantage of the wonderful recipes you can find at the link at the bottom of the page!

I have several favorite cocktail's but a friend has been telling me about the Apple Pie Moonshine she had Christmas and how delicious it was, smooth, slightly sweet with a little kick at the end. If you love Raylan Givens…..and if you don't I don't understand you, and if you love Justified, you remember Mags' Apple Pie Moonshine. She made a truly deadly cocktail!

Mine is not deadly in the Mags sense but drink much of it and you WILL awaken with a headache the next day!
These jars were my mother's canning jars. The big one in the center was my Dad's Moonshine jar!
My parents lived in a small town in north central Arkansas for over 40 years. You might have an idea of this area as very rural, it is, and moonshine is no stranger to those parts. My dad 'obtained' a 3 pint Ball jar of 'Shine many years ago. He loved bringing it out whenever someone came over and offering them a taste. That jar lasted at least 20 years. When he died my siblings and I pulled out the Ball jar and had a sip for him…..I mean a tiny sip! Talk about deadly, I believe that stuff would melt plastic! Several years ago my mother died and when I was cleaning out her house I saved dad's moonshine jar. I used it for my Apple Pie Moonshine. I wish I could share it with him….


This recipe makes lots so be nice and share it with friends.

Apple Pie Moonshine Recipe

1gallon Apple Cider, raw, organic and unfiltered preferred
1 gallon Apple Juice, organic
1 - 2 cups of Turbinado or Raw Sugar*
6-8 Cinnamon Sticks
750 ml Everclear, 190 proof

Heat cider, juice, sugar and cinnamon sticks in a large pot until boiling, stirring occasionally to be certain sugar is dissolved. Taste for sweetness. At this point you want it to be somewhat sweet as the alcohol will cut the sweetness considerably! Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool.  Add the Everclear when the juice mixture is cool.  Remember that Everclear is 190 proof and highly flammable! Use caution!

Fill sterilized jars with the 'Shine. Place a cinnamon stick in each jar. I also placed a vanilla bean in a few. Its good! Store in a cool, dark place. While you can drink it immediately the taste mellows with time. Once opened I put mine in the fridge.

*You can use any type of sugar and whatever amount works for you.  I like raw sugar for the flavor and less intensely sweet.



Go here to find all the fabulous Cocktail Day recipes.




  • Pomegranate Party Punch by Cravings of a Lunatic
  • White Cosmopolitans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
  • Hot Buttered Chocolate Rum by Cookistry
  • Bacon Jalapeno Bloody Mary by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
  • Blood Orange Old Fashioned by Kelly Bakes
  • Caipirinhas by Food Lust People Love
  • Chocolate and Peanut Butter Martini by Hungry Couple
  • Chocolate Cupcake Cocktail by JavaCupcake
  • Ciderhouse Whiskey by From the Bookshelf
  • Citrus Cranberry Punch by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
  • Coconut-Key Lime Pie Martini by Home Cooking Memories
  • Egyptian Martini by Cooking In Stilettos
  • Espresso Martini by Liv Life
  • Frosty Lemon Drop Martini by The Hopeless Housewife
  • Frozen Marshmallow Mudslide by 365 Days of Baking & More
  • Ginger Raspberry Fizzy by Try Anything Once
  • Iced Cake Martini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
  • Le Jardinier by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
  • Mandarin Mulled Wine by Food Babbles
  • Meyer Lemon Rosemary Gin Fizz by Crumb
  • Muddled Rosemary and Pineapple Cocktail by My Catholic Kitchen
  • Nutella Martini by The Pink Flour
  • Peach Sparkler by Noshing With The Nolands
  • Pineapple Margarita by Miss in the Kitchen
  • Pomegranate Orange Spritzer by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
  • Safe Sex on the Beach by Mom’s Test Kitchen
  • Side Car with Dried Cherries by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
  • Winter Fruit White Wine Sangria by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
  • Apple Pie Moonshine by Lola’s Kitchen
  • 16 comments:

    1. Ooh! I absolutely love this idea. We have a company here in CT called Onyx that makes moonshine; I'll have to try this recipe and replace the everclear with moonshine! Thanks for sharing :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. What a fun cocktail - I've never tried moonshine, but this looks like something I could try!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Cute story. When we had to clean out the farm house early this year, we found several jars of moonshine on unknown origin that my uncle had hidden away. I was too scared to let any one try them so I ended up dumping them all down the drain.

      Your cocktail sounds great.

      ReplyDelete
    4. That's an intense drink with the Everclear! I'm from Washington State originally and we weren't even allowed to have that liquor in our state! CRAZY! :) Great recipe, thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Woohoo, now that is a cocktail!! Great name, great drink!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I also have a apple pie moonshine. It is my number one post. We sure love our cocktails dont we?

      ReplyDelete
    7. Such a funny story about the jar of moonshine! And what a fun cocktail. I'm so glad you joined us for Cocktail Day, Guyla!!!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Your post is just fine, Guyla! We all have to start somewhere...and you'll catch on. If you want to add a list of the participants, you can copy and paste them directly from my blog onto your post. Adding the giveaway is a bit more complicated...I wish you were my neighbor and I could come over and show you the ropes :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Wow, this is interesting! And I'll bet it's good, too!

      ReplyDelete
    10. You are a genius. Seriously, love this. So happy you joined us.

      ReplyDelete
    11. You had me at apple pie so I would totally try this. And the idea of fresh squeezed apple cider? Oh yes. I love it!

      ReplyDelete
    12. This sounds so refreshing- I love apple cider, and moonshine is such a great name.

      ReplyDelete
    13. The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.cool on flashing

      ReplyDelete