Saturday, January 18, 2014

FFwD - Christine's Simple Party Soups


Christine's Simple Party Soups

This French Friday is one of the simplest we've done. Basically you boil peppers, asparagus and broccoli, individually,  in chicken broth with zucchini. Then you blend it up, in the food processor for me. What could be easier, right? Well it is easy but it still wasn't worth the effort. I added hot peppers and spices and it still wasn't very good. My family wouldn't move beyond a taste and I felt the same. It all ended up in the trash. That's a French Friday first! The red pepper soup showed the most promise but even though I halved the water it wasn't very good.
Enriched White Bread

At least we had good bread!  One of my 2014 goals is to bake more bread and I'm off to a good start. How can you go wrong with Peter Reinhart though? I've baked many of his breads from bread The Bread Baker's Apprentice and plan to bake them all. I started with a simple enriched white bread since it has been a while since I baked artisan bread. I'm eager to continue my quest!

The French Friday website is where you'll find everyone's links.


13 comments:

  1. Your breads look amazing! I didn't like the soup, either. I didn't even have beautiful bread on hand to sop up my soupy sorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guyla, all your soups look lovely, but the glass behind the serving dish looks delicious, as does your bread.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, at least you tried! The bread does look pretty amazing - is the book worth getting? I really want to bake more this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the different opinions and versions of these soups! Bravo for bread baking in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to be one of the few that enjoyed this week's soups. Oh, well. Sorry you ended up trashing yours. The bread, on the other hand, looks tempting. My sister just gave me a bread dome to use for no-knead bread. I hope to try making that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you didn't like these! I thought they were pretty good but it's not something that I'd make often. They certainly look pretty though! And I love they way your bread looks! I am also baking bread much more these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a big fan of these soups, either. Love that you're focusing on more bread-making this year - can't wait to see your progress with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the soups especially the asparagus! I need to loose weight after all the holiday food extravaganza so no bread for me just watery soup haha!!! Excellent choice of wine by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sorry this wasn't a hit for you - but those breads do look beautiful. Good luck on your bread quest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those breads look insane !! Wow. You are off to a great start in 2014, with the exception of the soups. At least it was a recipe that didn't take much time and effort (before it got chucked out....:) And lovely photos of all.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the asparagus but the red pepper was too strong for me! It wound up getting tossed! The colors were pretty, though!

    At least the dinner wasn’t a complete waste…let them eat bread…lol!! Your bread looks gorgeous, Guyla…I have that book and love it! Have you ever tried the Sullivan St. Bakery bread….It’s a ”No Knead” by Jim Lahey…you get a really great rustic loaf for minimal work! The recipe is all over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guyla, I am a little late commenting, hope you do not mind. Although the three soups were not that much of a success, I really like the way you served them in the glasses and I love the way your bread looks like - the book sounds worth exploring and I believe it is a wonderful idea to bake more bread at home. Good luck with baking your way through the book!

    ReplyDelete