Sunday, September 15, 2013

FFwD - Veal Chops with Rosemary

There is so much that could be said about veal but I'm not going to say it.  I'll just leave it at the fact that I bought two veal chops from Whole Foods and the butcher spoke to me EXTENSIVELY about how their meat is raised, butchered, sourced. I've had THE TALK with the grocers about swordfish and now veal and now I think I will leave it alone. Buy from someone you trust and get on with your life (at least that's what I told myself!).

This was good. Good meat prepared well usually is. 130 degrees is a bit rare for us so I stuck the pan in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes to finish it off.  One of them was a bit too done and the other just right. As with so many of the recipes from Around My French Table in the end its about the method and I will use this method again. In fact, I'm thinking of a blue cheese butter for steaks.

While I was at my sister's-in-law house I took advantage of her fig tree and made these delicious fig scones that I found on Mary's Pinterest site.  I also made fig bread and brought home frozen figs for jam.
Fresh Fig Scones
To.Die.For.

Take care friends. Life is hazardous to your health! In less than a week some of us will be in Seattle at the IFBC.  I wish we were all going to make it. Maybe one of these days we will all be together in one spot. That would be something!

Go over to French Fridays with Dorie and check out everyone's experiences as we cook out way through Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table.


7 comments:

  1. Looks amazing, Guyla. I'm jealous of all those figs. I just pinned the scones. I just love scones. I can't wait to meet you on Friday! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scones = yum!
    Lovely job with the veal.

    Looking forward to meeting next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's good to grill your vendors about how they are sourcing the products which they sell. It lets them know that you are paying attention and it hopefully makes them more aware as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butcher tends to give me the speech when the price is too high... And the blue cheese sounds really good. But I'm diving into those fig scones, I absolutely adore figs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time meeting the Dorista's. Glad you got humanely raised meat. Your chop looks delicious and I love figs.. very jealous of your scones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chops look perfect! And I have to check out the scone recipe, too! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete