Wednesday, August 8, 2012

TwD - Blueberry-Nectarine Pie

Blueberry-Peach Pie ala Baking with Julia
I'm about to put a whole lot of angst onto one little recipe but this pie caused me to reconsider my participation in TwD.  What am I doing and why am I doing it?  I have an excellent pie crust recipe I've been using successfully for years and yet because of my participation in cooking groups I try others with varying degrees of success.  Why?  I guess the point is to grow as a cook by experiencing new recipes and techniques but when its a chore instead of a joy its time to step back.

I didn't enjoy this recipe.  Perhaps I did some mis-measuring on the crust as I've read other blogs that loved it.  It was too short for me and difficult to work with, almost a shortbread.  And why the cake pan?

The filling was fussy.  Why make a simple syrup to soak the berries?  I've made tons of pies with peaches or nectarines and blueberries, add a little lemon and put the fruit in the crust, mix sugar and flour, and top it with another crust.  Easy.


We love pie and this was a good one if not a pretty one but I can make one just as good and twice as easy.  In the future I'll be more discriminating in following the recipes.  I know many of the other TwD cooks use their experience and knowledge and often stray from the recipe and I'm going to do the same.

Guess I'm just a slow learner:)  Our hosts for this recipe were Lizzy and Hilary and they both had great success with the recipe which they give on their blogs!  See what all the other Tuesday with Dorie bakers thought of the recipe.  

3 comments:

  1. Lola, I too have been doing some heavy thinking about continuing baking through this book. I love being part of the group, but the recipes just are not doing it for me. Certainly have not been worth the fat and calories, not to mention the time and cost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing I have been getting better at through my participation in TWD & FFwD is being less afraid to change things up. And it pushes me out of my cooking/ baking comfort zone on a scheduled basis.
    Your pie looks scrumptious & hang in there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the exact same problem with the pie crust, and was equally mad at myself for not just trying my instinct and using a pie pan. I think my cake pan must have been too high or something, but the recipe is a strange one. Luckily, it's almost impossible to ruin the flavor of fresh fruit pie.

    ReplyDelete